What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are dilated blood vessels that bulge from the surface of the skin. They occur due to wrong-way flow (reflux) that occurs in veins beneath the surface. Veins ordinarily have valves that allow blood flow to be channeled one-way: up and out of the legs to return to the heart. When such valves malfunction, flow is allowed to return downward with gravity and pool in leg veins. Such pooling allows pressure to build up in veins. Over time, excess pressure leads to veins that get stretched out, bulge from the surface and get tortuous and twisty.
If problematic veins are left untreated, patients often develop progressively worsening symptoms including:
- “Tired” legs
- Dull ache
- “Restless legs”
Such symptoms are often worse at the end of the day. Patients with certain jobs that require prolonged standing/sitting often experience significant discomfort during/after work.
Aside from symptoms, untreated superficial venous reflux may also lead to progressive skin changes, typically brown or red/purple discoloration and thickening at the lower legs and ankles. If ignored for too long, this may progress to skin breakdown or ulceration.
In some cases, blood clots may develop within varicose veins leading to painful, inflamed veins (superficial venous thrombophlebitis or SVT). Though fortunately uncommon and typically not dangerous, such clots may migrate to deep veins and become deep vein thromboses (DVTs). DVTs are very dangerous; they may travel to the heart & lungs causing potentially lethal pulmonary emboli (PE).
As you can see, vein disease is often mistakenly thought of as a nuisance, “cosmetic” issue. Significant problems may develop if such medical problems are ignored.
How are Varicose Veins treated?
First, underlying superficial vein reflux is diagnosed by a venous ultrasound (Doppler) study. This painless but very informative test allows us to tailor a treatment plan for each patient’s particular needs.
Depending on the location, size and severity of disease and depending on the patients underlying state of health and activity level, Dr. Rosen will recommend the least invasive treatment that provides the most optimal results.
- Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy
- Endovenous Laser Ablation
Why Choose Rosen Vein Care for Varicose Vein treatment?
While many locations in the Chicagoland and North Shore areas offer varicose vein treatments, Rosen Vein Care stands out for a few significant reasons:
- Expert Care:
- Every treatment is provided only by Dr. David Rosen who is certified by the American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Medicine
- Rosen Vein Care is among the relatively few practices in the country that offer the most state-of-the-art vein treatment techniques, including Clarivein® and VenaSeal®.
- Concierge Care:
- All treatments are provided in our comfortable office in a relaxed, unhurried, gentle way.
- Every patient has access to Dr. Rosen via email/cell phone.
- Dr. Rosen personally calls each patient after endovenous treatments are performed to address any questions and go over aftercare instructions.
- Affordable Care: While many vein treatments may be coverable by commercial insurance or Medicare, there are typically some out-of-pocket costs in every case. We strongly believe in providing affordable care to everyone in the most transparent, cost-effective way possible.
- Nobody is turned away based on financial means.
- Payment plans may be arranged.